The kitchen as it was:
First thing was work top and having been starved of worktop for a while I wanted lots (and now have about 4m, oh yes!!). We were going to buy an oak block worktop from the UK but living in France getting it here proved difficult. It was a bit big and heavy for the car roof and getting someone to bring it over cost almost as much as the worktop itself. Instead, we bought a belt sander, which was a similar price to the oak worktop, and turned some of the remaining original floorboards from the bedroom into a beautiful, characterful, solid chestnut worktop. We removed the streaks of owl poo first!
How the worktop started out:
Then cupboards. Fitted cupboards were out of budget so instead we found an old sideboard which was the right dimensions, only 35 euros and came complete with a rectangular marble top ideal for rolling pastry. After ten minutes with "Reg" the wrecking bar removing some of the extra detailing and a quick sawing off of the legs the cupboard was ready to paint.
Trying the sideboard out for size post Reg and saw. This wasn't our paint job!
Next was the sink. The existing sink I actually didn't mind too much, even if it's draining boards clearly weren't designed for draining. The main problem was that it was just too big so, another shopping trip found us another sideboard for 45 euros (complete with a top we've yet to use). We used it as a temporary kitchen cupboard before we took the kitchen apart.
Again, after a few minutes with "Reg" taking the top off, some sawing at the back and another paint job we dropped the new white ceramic sink in. The sink cost 73 euros from the local brico shop.
The butchers block that Mr Joe built from the remains of old oak cider press. The curtain hides the gap for the dishwasher.
And finally with my lovely new oven raring to go - or it will be when the house electrics are sorted, a very long story...